Sunday, May 22, 2016

Threads creating even more Negativity

     Here I am, once again, talking about body shaming throughout social media. Although I am finding myself repetitive, it shows how horrible this problem really is. I was on Twitter, and I came across what is called a "thread". This is a series of tweets that are connected, usually having the overall topic in common within all of them. Some of these threads include best childhood movies, favorite foods, or music videos. They usually tend to go viral, as many twitter users get almost pulled into them until they finish looking at every tweet.
     Some of these threads or becoming negative, though. For example, I came across a thread called "Thread of reasons to lose weight." Of course when I saw this i became very angered, and wanted to see what these reasons were. There were probably over twenty tweets connected to this where the user stated her reasons. Some of them included, "they won't laugh at you behind your back, literally nobody likes a fatty, you won't CRUSH someone by sitting on their laps, finally have confidence, you won't be embarrassed of how much you weigh, and look amazing in tight clothing."
     When I read these I was disgusted, and also disgusted by the fact that about one hundred people were agreeing with her. Although that might not seem like a lot, even one is too many people agreeing with her. I am not here to put down the user for feeling confident looking "skinny". I am angered by the fact that she is putting down people who are not as skinny as her. She is also creating the image that only one body type can be considered beautiful in our society. She believes the moment you are not the weight she is, people will talk behind your back and you will become self conscious. Like c'mon girl, i know you are confident but do not put other girls down. I am focusing on girls, because some of her tweets applied girls as her focus group. Girls of all weights are beautiful, and we shouldn't be putting others down.
     This thread of tweets can connect to a thread I talked about on one of my last blogs. It was talking about what girls should not wear if they are over 125 pounds. The user in the thread I am talking about in this blog stated that only when you are skinny you can look amazing in tight clothing. This again, makes me so so so angered. Women, no matter what weight, can look beautiful in any clothing. It is also completely unrealistic to believe that everyone will have the same extremely skinny body type. I am not saying this body type is bad, I just don't think we should label is as the "best" one.
     Typing these media blogs have made me more aware towards problems like these ones in our society. I am now constantly seeing instances of body shaming and girls being put down for how they look. Social media should not be a home for bullying, it should be something where we can uplift and help each other with a positive attitude. Although that is also kind of unrealistic, to think everyone will always be positive on these apps such as twitter, i don't think i should be seeing this many horrible instances of negativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment